I started this blog out of frustration with not seeing enough of our good news in the mainstream media. And if you’re like me, you, too, are also frustrated by what is presented in the news – stories of racial animosity, systems and institutions not working the way they should, and billionaires getting away with – well, everything!
Sometimes, voting doesn’t seem like enough. But, let’s not forget, we do have other options, as well. We can always vote with our wallets – which is why I decided to become an affiliate of OneUnited Bank.
I had heard about this bank while listening to the Karen Hunter Show on SiriusXM radio (she’s fire, y’all!) and finally decided to check it out.
Here’s what I learned:
- OneUnited Bank began almost 50 years ago with the opening of Unity Bank & Trust in Boston. OneUnited Bank was established by combining Black-owned banks across the country with the mission to create an institution to garner our spending power and channel it back into our communities.
- OneUnited is the first Black internet bank and the largest Black-owned bank in the country, with offices in Los Angeles, Boston and Miami.
- OneUnited is a designated Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) serving low- to moderate-income communities.
- OneUnited provides financial literacy programs and affordable financial services to our communities.
- OneUnited has the coolest debit/credit cards in the game! (See one example above.)
Are you ready to “Join the Movement” and BankBlack®? Need another reason? Well, according to OneUnited’s website:
“Black buying power in America today is over $1.2 trillion. When focused on improving our neighborhoods and supporting Black-owned businesses that are more likely to hire Black people, those dollars become a powerful force. We want you to stand up and represent. We want you to be part of the movement – to BankBlack® and #BuyBlack – to demonstrate our economic power. Yes…Black Lives Matter. Black Money Matters.”
Listen, you don’t have to close your existing accounts. Open a OneUnited account to save for a vacation, holiday shopping (Christmas is only 150 days away!) or just to have that “secret” just-in-case account. Or open an account just because you can, and doing so will give you the satisfaction of knowing you did this one thing today to advance our agenda.
Ready now? Good! Go to: oneunited.com/referral?DTERR1 and tell them I sent ya! (Use referral code DTERR1).
P.S. Thanks for letting me pause for a cause. I’ll be back next month with another great story featuring our businesses, organizations and creative endeavors. In the meantime, don’t forget to share anything your read here. Thanks!